By now we are all aware, and all excited about the brand new parking lot coming to downtown Shelbyville. The Sentinel News has reported this acquisition as something that is “[p] positive for [our] community, our growth and our future.”
Me personally, I’ve talked about the benefits that this property could provide as a parking lot. However, I don’t know what it is about Government these days, but, it’s as if they make it their goal to disappoint. It’s as though they decide what makes common sense, and then they do the exact opposite.
Not to be a Debbie Downer all the time, but here’s the deal. The Main Street lot is:
- Less than 1 acre in size;
- Has a combined 2015 property tax value of $95,000;
- Was purchased by the Tourism Commission for $284,000.
- The property directly across the street from this vacant lot sold two months ago for $133,000. This property had a usable storefront.
- The City is seeking to take a 7th street property via Eminent Domain and are adamantly arguing their 6.33 acres, located just blocks from the vacant lot, is only worth $150,000.
- The cost to pave and turn the vacant lot into a parking lot will be expensive…for you.
My point: You as citizens are losing control of your local government. Your government is not listening. Anyone who attended a restaurant tax proposal meeting knows you did so in vain, the decision was already made. Further, this vacant lot purchase is another example of lack of oversight. Why did they arguably spend $100,000 more than what it was worth? Because they were spending your money, not theirs.
If you don’t go out and vote on November 8th, we all justify our current Council’s behavior. It’s our fault, not theirs. Go Vote.
LIST OF NEW CANDIDATES TO VOTE FOR:
- SCOTT HARPER
- CHRIS “SPUD” SPAULDING
- TROY ETHINGTON
- MARCY MUDD